Walking is a great exercise. However, if you are just starting a walking program, have arthritis, poor balance or are recovering from an injury then it is best to speak to your Physiotherapist first.
Consider the following Pro Motion Tips to help Keep You In Motion!
- Make sure that you have the proper footwear. Go to a reputable store and/or speak to your Physiotherapist about which kind of shoe would be best for your feet.
- Start low and go slow if you are just starting a walking program. Don’t do too much too soon as you may experience soreness or pain. Your Physiotherapist can design a graduated program for you.
- Do gentle leg stretches before and after your walk. Your Physiotherapist can show you which stretches you should be doing.
- Set goals. Plan your week to see where you can “fit in” walking. Even 10 minutes at a time is beneficial and is included in your weekly minutes.
- Watch your posture. Do not bend forward. Rather, keep the best alignment that you can. Think of holding your head up and look forward. Relax your shoulders. (If you hold your shoulders tense then you could experience neck pain).
- Stay hydrated. Carry a bottle of water with you if you are walking for a while.
- Be safe. Avoid walking during the hottest part of the day. Try to walk in the morning or evening when it is cooler. If walking when it is dark, wear reflectors or reflective clothes. Do not text while walking.
- Determine what motivates you to continue a walking program. Do you prefer walking with someone? Do you prefer walking alone? Would you like to join a walking group? Do you have a specific area where you like to walk? Do you like a variety? Once you determine your preferred style, then it is easier to stay committed.
- Track your progress. You can measure out a route and time how long it takes you to walk it. See your progress over time. There are Apps that can assist you or you can just time it on your watch!
- Do not give up! If you experience an onset of pain, speak to your Physiotherapist. You may need to modify your walk or you may benefit from specific strengthening exercises.
Questions? Please call or email us so we can help you Keep Your Life In Motion!